Accredited Orton-Gillingham Professional Development
What is Phonics First®?Phonics First® is RLAC’s nationally accredited Orton-Gillingham course used to teach literacy. Our dynamic and interactive Professional Development courses and workshops give special and general education teachers the knowledge and expertise to implement evidence-based strategies that improve student achievement. Phonics First® employs the Orton-Gillingham principles of instruction to reading, is language-based, multisensory, structured, sequential, cumulative, cognitive, and flexible.
What Administrators are Saying
What Teachers are Saying
Phonics First® IS Orton-GillinghamSix things you should know about the relationship between
PHONICS FIRST® and ORTON-GILLINGHAM Read More »
- Orton-Gillingham is not one company or organization. Anyone can use the term Orton-Gillingham. An accredited course ensures quality content that meets recognized standards.
- Phonics First® IS an Orton-Gillingham course. Orton-Gillingham is an approach following specific teaching principles. Phonics First® is a Nationally Accredited program that strictly adheres to Orton-Gillingham Principles of Instruction for MSL (Multisensory Structured Language) programs.
- Phonics First's® instruction is Accredited through IDA and IMSLEC. Accredited courses are rigorously evaluated to ensure quality instructional content and delivery. Courses accredited by International Dyslexia Association (IDA), International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC) or Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE) MUST follow rigorous MSL teaching principles.
- Teachers trained in Phonics First® ARE teaching with Orton-Gillingham. Phonics First® uses carefully designed Orton-Gillingham principles of instruction for classroom, small-group and individual lessons.
- Phonics First's® Orton-Gillingham instruction is designed for dyslexic learners, those with other reading disabilities and is appropriate for many other students who struggle learning to read.
- Phonics First® trained teachers do not need to "also" take Orton-Gillingham training. They already have it! It is important to periodically refresh and extend Phonics First® training to enhance teachers' depth of knowledge and practice. Phonics First® Certification of specific teachers further extends teaching excellence to your students.
Please contact us with questions, comments and inquiries. 800-732-3211
Phonics First® Orton-Gillingham Courses Accredited by IDA and IMSLEC
RLAC’s Phonics First® curriculum adheres to new Common Core State Standards and meets Learning Forward’s (formerly National Staff & Professional Development Council) standards for professional development. Our Phonics First® programs are accredited through both the IDA (International Dyslexia Association) under their Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading and through IMSLEC (International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council) at the Teaching Level and Instructor of Teaching Levels.
- IDA Accreditation http://www.interdys.org/IDARecognizesIMSLECandNILD.htm
- IMSLEC Accreditation http://www.imslec.org
Learn More About Phonics First®
Listen to Phonics First® co-creator and Master Instructor Laurie Wagner, as she shares information about our accredited multisensory structured language (MSL) program. Listen to the presentation.Learn about all Phonics First® Accredited Courses for districts and individuals.