Phonics First® IS Orton-GillinghamSix things you should know about the relationship between
PHONICS FIRST® and ORTON-GILLINGHAM
- Orton-Gillingham is not one company or organization. Anyone can use the term Orton-Gillingham. An accredited course ensures quality content that meets recognized standards.
- Phonics First® IS an Orton-Gillingham course. Orton-Gillingham is an approach following specific teaching principles. Phonics First® is a Nationally Accredited program that strictly adheres to Orton-Gillingham Principles of Instruction for MSL (Multisensory Structured Language) programs.
- Phonics First's® instruction is Accredited through IDA and IMSLEC. Accredited courses are rigorously evaluated to ensure quality instructional content and delivery. Courses accredited by International Dyslexia Association (IDA), International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC) or Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE) MUST follow rigorous MSL teaching principles.
- Teachers trained in Phonics First® ARE teaching with Orton-Gillingham. Phonics First® uses carefully designed Orton-Gillingham principles of instruction for classroom, small-group and individual lessons.
- Phonics First's® Orton-Gillingham instruction is designed for dyslexic learners, those with other reading disabilities and is appropriate for many other students who struggle learning to read.
- Phonics First® trained teachers do not need to "also" take Orton-Gillingham training. They already have it! It is important to periodically refresh and extend Phonics First® training to enhance teachers' depth of knowledge and practice. Phonics First® Certification of specific teachers further extends teaching excellence to your students.
Please contact us with questions, comments and inquiries. 1-800-732-3211